Wen Xu, SCRC student who works with Dr. Yong Li, is the Goldwater Scholarship awardee.
Click this link for more information.
Wen Xu—a University of Pittsburgh Honors College junior majoring in neuroscience in Pitt’s School of Arts and Sciences—has been named a 2011 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship winner for her exceptional independent research. Xu, from McCandless Township, Allegheny County, Pa., plans to pursue an MD/PhD degree. Her career goals include conducting translational research related to neural plasticity and regeneration after injury. She is the 35th Pitt student to have won a Goldwater Scholarship since 1995.
Dr. Johnny attended the 25th Annual Research Meeting of the Japanese Orthopaedic Association and the 7th Combined ORS, Japan.
Dr. Johnny Huard with Dr. Ryosuke Kuroda of the Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University, Japan.
Drs. Huard, Ingham-McNeil and Gharaibeh with the Stanley Cup during its visit to UPMC Sports Medicine
The Penguins win the Stanley Cup in 2009! (Dr. Huard and Matt Bosco)
- May 3, 2009: Dr. Bruno Peault has left the SCRC. We will update the EVA Cells page with new information soon. Mirko Corselli, Tea Soon Park and Aki Osawa have also left. In addition, we are all moved in to our new, but temporary location, and all phone numbers have been updated on the site.
- April 27, 2009: We are saddened to announce that Dr. Masaho Okada has returned to Japan to continue his career in heart surgery. You can find photos from his going away party here.
- Feburary 2009: The SCRC is in the process of moving to the Gold Building at 3343 Forbes Avenue. Our phone numbers will be changing! You can download this list (Excel spreadsheet) to see which new numbers have been activated so far. The office number has been updated on the Contact Us page and is correct; any other numbers may not be, so please refer to this list for now.
- June 2008: Dr. Yong Li has been awarded the Michael Miller Young Investigator Award by Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC for excellence in research. Dr Li was nominated by Dr Johnny Huard for his outstanding contributions in the field of Molecular Pathology. The Michael Miller Young Investigator Award is given each year by Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC to a young investigator of out-standing accomplishment in basic or clinical research relevant to the advancement of knowledge in human health and particularly in pediatric diseases.
- May 2008: Josh Plassmeyer's abstract entitled "The Effect of Mechanical Strain on Muscle Derived Stem Cell Proliferation" was given the award of Honorable Mention at the 2008 IRR Day within the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- May 2008: Karin Corsi and Thomas Payne, two former researchers of the SCRC, were united in marriage over Memorial Day weekend.
- Masahiro Nozaki's manuscript, "Improved muscle healing after contusion injury by the inhibitory effect of sprain on myostatin, a negative regulator of muscle growth" has been accepted to American Journal of Sports Medicine pending revisions.
- April 25, 2008: We are saddened to announce that as of April 25, 2008 Masahiro Nozaki has returned to Japan.
- 2008: Andres Quintero received the 2008 Resident Clinician Scientist Training Grant, an Orthopedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF) grant open to residents and fellows for grants placing special emphasis on clinically relevant research.
- 2007: Tomoyuki Matsumoto has received the ASBMR Harold M. Frost Young Investigator Award and will be presented it at the 38th International Sun Valley Workshop in Skeletal Biology held August 3-6 in Sun Valley, Idaho.
- 2007: Check out this interactive map that shows the state of stem cell research state-by-state! You can find it on the ABC News website here.